Managing access to your world
End users are an integral part of your world. Learn how to add users via CSV file upload or manual account creation, and watch your Breakroom come to life.
There are a number of different ways that you can invite users to join you in Breakroom. You can:
CSV files, or comma-separated values files, are spreadsheets containing relevant user information that can be uploaded to Breakroom through your Dashboard. Uploading a CSV file will create an account for each user listed in the spreadsheet, complete with password. You can also list important institutional information about each user, which may be displayed in their profile or in-world hovertext (the identifying text that appears above each user's head).
You can download a fresh, unpopulated CSV file by clicking on the file link below:
Blank CSV 2023.csv
The location of the Import Users button.
You can also download an unpopulated CSV file directly from your Dashboard. Click on the Manage Users tab, and then click the Import Users button. A pop-up menu will appear. Click on the link that says "Download CSV Model," and save the file to your computer.
The location of the "Download CSV Model" link.
You can open and edit CSV files using any commonly available spreadsheet software, such as Microsoft Excel or Google Sheets. When you open the blank CSV file linked above, you will see a series of fields where you can enter required or optional information.
Required information includes:
- Display Name: This is the name that serves to identify the user while they are in-world. It may appear in the identification tag that hovers over the user's avatar, as well as in the user's profile. Display names can be changed at any time by the world Owner or an Administrator.
- Username: This is a permanent username that serves to identify the account. It can also be used in place of the user's email address during the login process.
- Email address: Please enter an email address to which the user has full access, in case they need to change their password.
- Password: Please enter a complex, unique password of six or more characters.
Usernames can contain a maximum of 32 characters. Only alpha-numeric characters, spaces, underscores and dashes can be used. If you do not enter a custom username, one will be auto-generated from the user's display name.
Optional fields include:
- Title: This is optional information that will also appear in the hover tag displayed above the user's head, as well as in their profile. For instance, you might use this field to identify a "Senior Delegate," or make it something fun like "Metaverse Wanderer."
- Job Title: This refers to the user's actual job title. If you supply this information, it will be displayed in the user's hover tag and their profile.
- Company: This is, of course, the company the user works for. If you supply this information, it will also be displayed in the user's hover tag and profile as described above.
Using Google Sheets to export (download) an example file in CSV format. This will save the file to your local drive.
Once you've entered at least the minimum required user data, you will need to save or export the document in CSV (.csv) format. You can change the document name if you like.
The location of the Import Users button.
To upload a CSV file, navigate to the Manage Users tab of your Dashboard and click the Import Users button.
The location of the Upload file field.
In the pop-up window that appears, click the "Upload file" field. This will launch a standard file import window. Locate the CSV file you want to upload on your computer, click on it, and then click the Open button.
If your CSV file contains any errors, the document will be rejected and those errors will be highlighted so you can make the necessary corrections. If no errors are detected, you will see the "CSV file verification succeeded" message displayed above. Click the Import CSV button to continue.
Once you've successfully imported your users, you will see them listed under the Manage Users tab. You can click the pencil icon located next to a user's name to manually edit their information, or click the trash can icon to remove them from your user list altogether.
If you need to locate a particular user or set of users in your user list, you can also make use of the following functions:
- The search field in the upper left corner allows you to search for a name, email address, or specific user ID.
- The "Search by status" drop-down menu allows you to display only those users who have a particular status (e.g. active, pending, etc).
- The "Select user type" drop-down menu allows you to display only users of a certain type (e.g. Administrators, Developers, etc).
To download a CSV file containing all of your current user information, click the Export Users button.
Adding a user to your roster manually is as simple as filling out a text form. To begin, navigate to the Manage Users tab on your Dashboard and click the Add Users button.
A pop-up window will appear containing several information fields. To create a new user account, you will need to provide at least a Display Name, Username, email address, and password. You'll also need to choose a user type.
If you want to add more than one user during a single session, click the plus icon in the bottom left corner to generate an additional set of user information fields. When you are finished keying in your user data, click the Add User button.
User types correspond to world-level user permissions, and can be changed by clicking the pencil icon located to the right of a user's name and then selecting the type to be assigned. A detailed explanation of the different user types and step-by-step instructions for assigning user types are also available.
The Manage Users tab, with the "Search by status" drop-down menu and user status bar highlighted.
In addition to a user type, each user is also assigned a status. You can use the "Search by status" drop-down menu to display only the users assigned that particular status, and to narrow down your search for a specific user.
The status types are:
- Active: The user's account is active and accessible to the user. They can log in to your world. If you have assigned them advanced world-level user permissions, they have access to the virtual tools they need (e.g. Curator).
Inactive users will not be displayed in your user list by default. To see your Inactive users, please use the "Search by status" drop-down menu to select the All or Inactive option.
An example of the Manage Users tab on Dashboard, with user management tools highlighted.
Users can be deactivated individually or in bulk. When a user is deactivated, they will still appear under the Manage Users tab, with their user status changed to Inactive. They will no longer be able to log in to your world, and will no longer take up one of your account's seats.
A deactivated member listing. Notice how the trash can icon has been changed to an "undo" icon.
To deactivate an individual user, click on the trash can icon located to the right of their name. The trash icon will then change to an undo icon. To reactivate the user, click the undo icon.
To deactivate or activate multiple users at once, check off each relevant name in your user list and then click the trash can icon or undo icon located in the top right above the user list.
The undo icon and the trash can icon.
If a user seems to disappear from your user list when you deactivate them, make sure that the "Search by status" drop-down menu is set to show All users or Inactive users. If it is set to any other option, you may not see your full user list.
The "Search by status" drop-down menu, showing the different filtering options.
When self-registration is enabled, users who access your world through World Stream or a dedicated desktop app can sign up for their own account. Each user registration will take up one of your available seats, and users will be given the opportunity to pick a starter avatar from your default avatar collection.
You can enable or disable self-registration from your Dashboard by following the steps below.
- 1.Navigate to your Dashboard.
- 2.Click on the World Customization tab.
- 3.Click on the World Access tab.
- 4.Click the Self-Registration toggle to enable or disable self-registration.